Our community is in crisis due to the opioid epidemic! This year, nearly 2,200 individuals were sent to the hospital and over 150 people have died from opioid overdoses in Summit County alone!
We can stop this!
We just need your help! All you have to do is become a Summit County Defender! Defenders follow our plan of safe usage, safe storage, and safe disposal of the medications you have at home. They also help their friends, neighbors, and family do the same. If we can get everyone on board, we’re only a short time away from solving this problem!
Our key messages for using medicines safely are quite simple:
- Only use prescription medications as directed by a health professional.
- Never share your prescription medications with others or use someone else’s prescription medications.
- Always store your medications securely to prevent others from taking them and properly dispose of medications that you no longer need.
- Be a good example to those around you by modeling these safe medication-taking practices and discussing the dangers of misusing prescription drugs with your family, friends, colleagues, students, or patients.
When prescribed a prescription medication…
- Store medications in secure locations such as:
- Medication safes
- Other lockable spaces
- Avoid storage places where children and others can easily access such as:
- Kitchen cabinets
Place unused, unneeded, and unwanted medications in a Deterra Pouch.
Add water to the pills in the Deterra Pouch and seal.